We want to work with you!
Check out our volunteer opportunities this summer – updated monthly!
- June 7th, at 6:05 p.m. (which is National Cancer Survivors Day), we will be going to watch the Louisville Bats Baseball game and we are offering free tickets for survivors and their family/friends, courtesy of the Colon Cancer Prevention Project. If you are interested in joining us, please E-mail Em no later than Thursday, June 4th.
- We are planning “Catching a Killer Debut” Events – in Louisville on June 18th from 7-8 p.m. at the Clifton Center (2117 Payne Street, Louisville), in Lexington on June 23rd from 7-8 p.m. at the Farish Theater at the Central Branch of the Lexington Library (140 E. Main Street, Lexington), and in Hazard on July 20th from 7-8 p.m. at the Perry County Public Library. Our new documentary, Catching a Killer, debuts in July on KET and tells the story of many brave people across Kentucky and Southern Indiana who have been impacted by colon cancer. See it first at our FREE one-hour viewing party. Also, there will be special receptions prior to each viewing. RSVP through this link so we can plan accordingly. We need volunteers (set-up, clean-up, greeting, during the reception, and more) to ensure this is a big success! E-mail Em to learn more and to sign up to volunteer!
- Uptown Art Uncorked Louisville Painting Fundraiser coming on Tuesday, June 23rd from 7-9:30 p.m. Visit this link for more information and to sign up now! Enjoy this activity and support the Project at the same time!
- CARDMAKING FOR A CAUSE: We are looking for volunteers to help us make personalized greeting cards (birthday, thank you, thinking of you, congratulations, etc.) for us to send to our supporters throughout the year. There is a planned cardmaking session (supplies are provided) coming on June 27th from 10 a.m. – 5 p.m.at the Eastwood Christian Church (16410 Eastwood Cutoff Rd., Louisville). You can also make cards at your convenience. E-mail Em for more information.
- The Kicking Butt 5K is coming on August 22nd, 2015! This will be the 10th annual event, so be sure to mark your calendar now! Registration is now open, so be sure to register now through this link. Questions? E-mail Patty Francis.
- Lexington-area supporters: We would love to meet you and anyone you know who is interested in helping us as really focus on #kickingbutt in the Lexington area! We are actively expanding there, and are looking for people interested in helping support our efforts. Ideas and suggestions are welcome, too! E-mail Lindy Reinhardt at firstname.lastname@example.org or call (502) 290-0288 to learn more.
- The Education & Awareness Committee is currently forming to develop and implement ideas aimed at raising awareness about colon cancer throughout Kentucky and Southern Indiana. If you are interested in learning more or to join the committee, please e-mail Patty at email@example.com.
- The KickingButt 5K Planning Committee is currently forming and meeting to plan the August 22, 2015 event. If you are interested in learning more or to join the committee, please e-mail Patty at firstname.lastname@example.org.
- The Medical Advisory Planning Committee is currently forming and meeting to create a strategy to educate medical professionals about the screening options and the important related information. If you are interested in learning more or to join the committee, please e-mail Patty at email@example.com.
- The Survivor Support group – called the “Survivors’ Network” is currently forming to help plan and expand survivor support. If you are interested in learning more or to join the committee, please e-mail Lindy at firstname.lastname@example.org.
- Project Innovation is a new program with the goal of jump-starting programs in communities throughout Kentucky and Southern Indiana. By encouraging individuals to join in efforts to raise awareness about colon cancer and educate people about the importance of screening, the Project is looking for ideas and people to lead the efforts with hopes to spread the word to areas it’s targeting with greatest need. YOU can make a difference in your community! Learn more and apply through this link. ***The deadline has been extended through July 15; apply now!***
The following health fairs are coming and we would love your help:
* UPS – ACMX Health Fair @ 750 Grade Lane – Friday, June 5th from 8 a.m. – 5 p.m. (shifts available). We will need help with inflatable colon (event is outdoors).
* TOPS National Convention & Health Fair @ Ramada Plaza, 9700 Bluegrass Pkwy – Friday, June 12th from 9 a.m. – 2 p.m. (shifts available). We will need help with the inflatable colon (event is inside).
* 2015 Louisville Juneteenth Festival (celebrating the emancipation of the last American Slave) & Health Fair @ Shawnee Park – Saturday, June 20th from 8 a.m. – 6 p.m. (shifts available) (event is outdoors).
* Churchill Downs Family Adventure Day & Health Fair @ Churchill Downs – Father’s Day, Sunday, June 21st from 11:30 a.m. – 5 p.m. (shifts available) (event is outdoors).
* UPS-GOC Health Fair @ 750 Lotus Avenue – Wednesday, July 15th from 8 a.m. – 5 p.m. (shifts available) (event is inside).
* Back to School Community Fair @ Neighborhood Place/Bridges of Hope, 1411 Algonquin Pkwy – Friday, August 7th from 9 a.m. – 12 noon. We will need help with the inflatable colon (event is inside).
* Park DuValle Health Fair @ 3015 Wilson Avenue – Saturday, August 15th from 11 a.m. – 3 p.m. (shifts available). We will need help with the inflatable colon (event is outdoors).
* 11th Annual Community Health & Safety Fair @ St. Stephen Martyr Church – Sunday, September 27th from 12 noon – 3:30 p.m. (shifts available). We will need help with the inflatable colon (event is inside).
* Disabled American Veterans National Convention and Health & Wellness Fair @ Galt House Hotel – Thursday, October 1st from 10 a.m. – 4 p.m. (shifts available) (event is inside).
Are you interested in being trained for future health fairs? We provide training on what to do & say – it’s easy, fun, and helps spread the word on screening! You do NOT have to be involved in the health field, nor know all the answers. E-mail Patty to learn more!
- We need help distributing “Are You at Risk” brochures. This would involve spending a morning or afternoon (any time between 9 a.m. and 5 p.m.) putting the brochures into mailers for us. Are you able to help?
- Our Pledge Program is gaining popularity! We need help entering the data and following up with folks by e-mail and mail. Do you have time between 9 a.m. and 5 p.m. to assist?
- Have some time between 9 a.m. and 5 p.m. on a weekday? E-mail Lindy if you are interested in helping with administrative work in the office. We would love help with many tasks, especially since we are in our new office space!
- CARDMAKING FOR A CAUSE: We are looking for volunteers to help us make personalized greeting cards (birthday, thank you, thinking of you, congratulations, etc.) for us to send to our supporters throughout the year. You can make these cards at home or in our office, and there is a planned cardmaking session (supplies are provided at this) coming on June 27th from 10 a.m. – 5 p.m. at the Eastwood Christian Church (16410 Eastwood Cutoff Rd., Louisville). E-mail Lindy for more information.
The Colon Cancer Prevention Project just wrapped up its sixth quarter offering The Fighters’ Fund, a program that provides one-time grants to qualifying patients fighting colon cancer. In two weeks, the committee will meet to make decisions and award grants to eligible applicants. Please help us spread the word on this amazing program! Click on the link here for more info. Lindy can provide printed applications as well – just let her know!
We are looking for volunteers that have photography skills and would be willing to be on a list we would maintain for when we have photography needs arise. Our new web site will need some professional photos throughout the year to keep it fresh, and we would also love to have some “go-to” people to help take pictures at events, times we are in the community, etc. Are you interested or do you know someone who enjoys taking pictures? E-mail Lindy for more information.